Position: Project Manager – Construction
Position Reports to: National Director
Purpose of the position
The WVZ office construction project manager will supervise the construction projects from beginning to end, ensuring that projects are completed within time and budgetary constraints. This includes the Choma land project, GIK warehouse and supervision of the China Hainan- WVZ Office project
To successfully do so, the position holder must be able to effectively communicate World Vision’s Christian ethos and demonstrate a quality of spiritual life that serves as an example to others.
- Coordinate achievement of programmatic objectives; planning, implementation and review of progress on budget utilization and ensure project committee’s approval and endorsement of all plans
- Coordinate regular planning, accountability and follow up of key performance indicators and overall quality assurance matters
- Coordinate and follow up external entities, legal teams, project engineers and architects, QS and all other project members
- Seek all the necessary approvals required for the project
- Review all the designs, bills of quantities, contracts and any other documents required and get all the approvals from the project committee
- Coordinate capacity buildings and any other training required for each office function (i.e. IT, access control etc.)
- Coordinating project managements & logistics
Effective Technical Project Design, Planning and Implementation
- Facilitate timely and quality implementation of the office project, other construction infrastructures
- Ensure effective coordination between the several functions/entities within WV to facilitate smooth transition
- Ensure that business processes, standards and guidelines related to Construction initiatives are effectively applied in project implementation.
- Provide overall construction site management in strict adherence to the approved designs.
- Facilitate site visit for all respective line ministries to inspect progress of works and validate all the inspection reports (this includes quantified work done)
- Supervision of contractors during implementation to ensure quality workmanship, safety and value for money is achieved within schedule.
- Facilitate Site-possession, handing over and commissioning of projects
- Carry out Technical Design of Construction projects as need arises
- Preparation of the tender documents (Technical Specifications, Drawings, Bill of quantities and Terms of Reference).
- Participate in the tender committee to offer all the technical advice.
- Facilitates Topographical Surveys, Environmental Impact Assessment and GIS activities
- Maintain an updated Site Book for all construction works
Quality Assurance – Monitoring, Reporting and Documentation
- Supervise and Monitor Constructions in strict adherence to WV Zambia, Zambian government regulations
- Document and disseminate best practices
- Ensure budgetary utilization is within acceptable limits/range.
- Facilitate regular review meetings with the project team
- As a project continues, construction managers typically confer with supervisors or other managers to monitor construction progress, including worker productivity and compliance with building and safety codes.
Engagement, Networking & Partnerships
- Establish and sustain working relationships with Government Departments and Agencies relevant to the Project’s focus area at the all levels
- Participate in GRE workshops and initiatives
- Project Team: strategic /operational guidance
- Operations Director:(Supervisor) Leadership,strategic/operational direction, guidance and coordination; planning, setting targets.
- Department Heads- Consultation, joint work planning, monitoring, expenditure tracking, and reporting, continuous communication and impact evaluation
- Communications Officer: Consultation, joint planning, coordination of documentation and media events.
- GRE Regional Manager: Consultation, coordination, standards, joint monitoring, and impact evaluation. Matrix relationship with GRE SME
- Other project officers:Consultation, joint planning
Qualifications/Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
- Degree in Civil Engineering, Construction Management or a related field.
- Project Management experience
- Minimum seven years proven experience in infrastructure project implementation
- Experience in supervising, training, and coaching staff
- Knowledge of MS Office, Lotus Notes and statistical program (e.g. SPSS).
- Knowledge and application of auto/arch CAD and GIS will be an advantage.
- Good report writing skills
- Excellent English communication skills (both oral and written).
- A team player, capable of working with the project committee
- Ability to take initiative, a team leader able to work with minimum supervision
- Cross-cultural sensitivity and emotional maturity
- An understanding of the construction business and the ability to work under deadlines in a fast-paced environment are important for career success
- Ability to maintain performance expectations in diverse cultural contexts
- Field-based and within the project area in Lusaka and any other areas as assigned within Zambia
- Travel: To be determined
- Availability: As required
Job by WVI