The Water Resources Management Authority (WARMA) is a statutory body incorporated under the Water Resources Management (WRM) Act No. 21 of 2011. The mandate of WARMA is to preserve and protect Zambia’s ground and surface water resources and regulate the abstraction, allocation, use, development and management of water in a sustainable manner.
WARMA seeks to recruit for the following positions to be based at the WARMA Head Office in Lusaka. These are senior positions that are of value to the institution. WARMA is an equal opportunity employer and as such applications are hereby invited from Zambian citizens only.
WATER RESOURCES OPERATIONS MANAGER
As a Water Resources Operations Manager your overall responsibility is to manage water resources management operations in a manner that promotes Integrated Water Resources Management and in general compliance with the National Water Policy, Water Resources Management (WRM) Act and approved Board policies to enhance water resources protection, conservation, planning and development.
You will report to the Director Water Resources Management and Information who will be your immediate supervisor.
- A full and genuine Grade 12 with a minimum of five (5) ‘O’ levels including English and Mathematics.
- At least a BSc in Hydrology, Hydrogeology, Water Resources Engineering, Civil Engineering or Environmental Systems
- Analysis from a reputable University
- A Master’s degree related to water/ natural resources studies will be an added advantage.
- At least six (6) years’ work experience in a similar position.
- Experience with working with GIS and remote sensing tools
- Experience with modeling is desired
- Knowledge of Zambia’s water resources a must
- Must be a member of Engineers Institute of Zambia
Your specific functions and accountabilities will be:
- Develops plans for Geo-physical investigations, exploration and development of groundwater resources based on approved catchment plans and ensures the execution of plans thereof.
- Develops and monitors, in conjunction with Catchment Managers, programs for continuous and comprehensive monitoring and assessment of groundwater resources availability, suitability and vulnerability in order to provide an input into the National Water Development programs.
- Develops and continuously monitors procedures and guidelines for the production of data and information on groundwater parameters concerning groundwater availability, suitability and vulnerability for effective planning, development, management and utilization of groundwater resources.
- Develops and Monitors approved catchment planning, implementation and monitoring of hydro-geological programs in line with Catchment Plans and Government Policy; liaises with respective Catchment Manager on the same.
- Recommends regulations and guidelines that will ensure the protection of groundwater resources from pollution and over-exploitation.
- Consolidates and monitors catchment Water Resources Conservation, Protection and Restoration in liaison with the respective Catchment Manager and other relevant stakeholders and ensures the achievement of objectives.
- Coordinates Donor funded groundwater projects and renders technical advice for granting groundwater rights to organizations involved in the provision of groundwater supplies.
- Plans and develops surface water resources, designs, operates and maintains Hydrometric stations for surface water management.
- Makes economic analysis of benefits and consequences of all water development projects and carries out other duties, as and when required.
- Excellent organizational skills
- Leadership skills
- Good oral and written skills
- Proficient IT skills – Microsoft Word/Excel/ Project.
- Good interpersonal skills
- A team player
- Attention to detail
- A self-starter, proactive and should be able to work with minimum supervision.
All applications should be clearly marked on the envelope with the position of interest and delivered or posted to the undersigned. Please note that the application package should consist of an application letter, latest CV, certified copies of educational and professional credentials.
The Director General,
Water Resources Management Authority
Plot No. 4186 Addis Ababa Drive
P. O. Box 51059,
Job by Water Resources Management Authority